The research vision of the Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta is to establish superb cardiovascular programs founded on the creation of new knowledge through excellent basic, translational and clinical research.
The mission of the Institute is to achieve this vision through:
- building a centre of excellence comprising the best researchers and world-class research facilities
- creating new discoveries in all areas of research
- facilitating the translation of innovative research into novel healthcare solutions
- recruiting the best and brightest students and trainees as the leaders of tomorrow
Cardiovascular research at the University of Calgary is already recognized internationally for its strengths in a broad spectrum of areas including molecular, biophysical, mechanical and physiological studies, lifestyle and disease prevention initiatives, and multi-centre patient and drug trial studies.
"It is clear that active and productive programs of basic investigation are underway in a number of areas, including genetic susceptibility, cardiac pump function, heart rhythm disorders, and vascular biology. The quantity of publications, research funds, and invited lectures attests to the success of the program"
- Dr. Anthony DeMaria, IEAC report, 2007